University Open Access Policy is to ensure the widest possible access to its world-class research. Oxford researchers are asked to deposit their work into the university’s repository ORA (Oxford Research Archive), to boost research visibility, for digital preservation, to meet REF 2021 Open Access policy and to provide a comprehensive record for Oxford.
- Please Act on Acceptance: deposit into ORA, on acceptance, the accepted manuscript of journal articles and conference papers; record details of all other publications and add full text if possible. ORA will make them freely available online as soon as possible (subject to any conditions set by the publisher).
- Be aware of the REF 2021 open access policy, which requires papers accepted since 1st April 2016 to be deposited within 3 months of acceptance.
- Take into account the Open Access requirements set by your research funder
- Do they have an OA policy? Do you need to include OA costs in your grant application? Check Sherpa Juliet.
- Have a plan of when and where you want to publish and how you want to make your publications Open Access.
- Discuss and agree the approach with your research collaborators and co-authors.
- No funder? If you are an unfunded researcher, there is no central University OA fund to pay Article Processing Charges (APCs).
Information and assistance about Open Access.
- This site includes Help, FAQs and News.
- You are very welcome to seek advice in person from the Subject Librarians in the Bodleian Libraries.
- You may like to attend one of the iSkills workshops
- For help with your decision-making about open access to your publications, feel free to seek advice from the Open Access Enquiries team.