Note: COAF (comprising Blood Cancer UK (prev. Bloodwise), British Heart Foundation, Cancer Research UK, Parkinson’s UK, Versus Arthritis, and Wellcome) has now ended. Go here for former (non-Wellcome) COAF funders
The new Wellcome Open Access policy came into effect on 1st January 2021 and applies to all primary research funded in part or whole by the Wellcome Trust. This section contains information about the new requirements.
What do I do at Oxford?
- Applies to new and existing grants
- Research articles need to be freely available in PMC/Europe PMC at publication
- No embargo period is permitted
- Articles must be published under a CC BY licence (CC BY-ND is permitted by exception, agreed with Wellcome in advance)
- The fund does not cover letters or page/colour charges so you need to use other funds such as your grant
- The block grant year runs from 1 October – 30 September
- Authors should retain copyright
- No funding for OA publication costs in hybrid journals unless subject to a Transformative Agreement
- Full details are on Wellcome’s page
How to publish:
There are three routes to compliance with the policy:
- Publish in a fully open access journal/platform that is indexed in the Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ),
- Publish in a journal covered by a Transformative Agreement (also sometimes known as a Read & Publish deal) – see a full list of current transformative journals here
- Publish in a subscription journal and make the Author Accepted Manuscript (AAM) openly available in PMC on publication.
Wellcome policy also applies to scholarly monographs and book chapters. See ‘Complying with our Open Access policy’ .
Before submitting to a journal
- Use the Journal Checker Tool to determine compliance.
- All original research articles submitted to peer-reviewed journals MUST include the following statement at submission:
‘This research was funded in whole, or in part, by the Wellcome Trust [Grant number]. For the purpose of Open Access, the author has applied a CC BY public copyright licence to any Author Accepted Manuscript version arising from this submission.’
(Note: If you publish on Wellcome Open Research, publication costs are funded directly by Wellcome.)
After acceptance of an article
- Please contact the Bodleian APC team before confirming selection of gold (paid) route with journal, to check funds are available and the journal is funder-compliant: email email@example.com.
- Complete an application form and send it to the APC Team at firstname.lastname@example.org with the publisher’s APC or article-charges request form.
- Please also Act on Acceptance & deposit a copy in ORA.
- Departments should not pay the invoice on behalf of the grant holders and claim reimbursement. The APC Team request the invoice and arrange payment from a block grant where eligible.
- Date of publication or payment must fall within current block grant year, 1st Oct 2020-30 Sept 2021.
- If you have any questions about paying APCs from block grant fund, contact email@example.com.