- Oxford has received a COAF grant for 1 October 2016 to 30 September 2017 to pay open access fees for articles arising from research funded by one or more of the participating charities:
- Arthritis Research UK, Bloodwise*, British Heart Foundation, Cancer Research UK, Parkinson’s UK**, Wellcome Trust
- COAF policy (since 1 Oct 2014): peer-reviewed research articles and non-commissioned review articles funded wholly or in part by a COAF charity must be freely available in PubMed Central (or EuropePMC) within 6 months of publication.
- If an Article Processing Charge (APC) is paid, the journal must make the final published version immediately available in PMC, publish it with a CC-BY licence, and from 1 April 2017 also meet new publisher requirements.
- Articles submitted to non-compliant publishers cannot use Wellcome funds to pay APCs. See list of compliant publishers.
- The fund does not cover commissioned reviews, conference proceedings, letters, or page/colour charges. What COAF covers.
- Oxford is one of 36 UK research institutions receiving a COAF Block Grant, to be administered by the Wellcome Trust in the same manner as has operated to date.
- For further information see the Wellcome Trust’s COAF page and the open access policies of the partner charities:
*formerly Leukaemia & Lymphoma Research (renamed September 2015). **Parkinson’s UK joined COAF on 1 October 2015.
Monographs & book chapters
The Wellcome Trust policy also applies to scholarly monographs and book chapters. See ‘Complying with our Open Access policy’ .
Breast Cancer Now (October 2016)
Breast Cancer Now is no longer a COAF member. Its revised OA policy requires open access within 12 months of publication (in Europe PMC) preferably by the ‘green route’ (self-archiving).
- check SHERPA/FACT to ensure journal meets WT/COAF requirements.
- check if publisher is on list of Wellcome Trust list of compliant publishers for APCs since 1 April 2017.
When article accepted:
- Please contact the Bodleian APC team before confirming selection of gold (paid) route with journal, to check funds are available and the journal is funder-compliant: email email@example.com.
- Complete an application form and send it to the APC Team at firstname.lastname@example.org with the publisher’s APC or article-charges request form.
- Please also Act on Acceptance & deposit a copy in ORA.
- Departments should not pay the invoice on behalf of the grant holders and claim reimbursement. The APC Team request the invoice and arrange payment from Oxford’s COAF Block Grant where eligible.
- Date of publication or payment must fall within current COAF block grant year, 1 October 2016 to 30 September 2017.
- COAF preference is for Gold open access. If journal does not offer this, author should deposit a copy of the final, peer reviewed manuscript into Europe PMC within 6 months of publication. See the Europe PMC plus user guide.
- If you have any questions about paying APCs from the COAF fund, contact email@example.com.