- Oxford has received a COAF grant for 1 October 2016 to 30 September 2017 to pay open access fees for articles arising from research funded by one or more of the participating charities:
- Arthritis Research UK, Bloodwise*, British Heart Foundation, Cancer Research UK, Parkinson’s UK**, Wellcome Trust
- COAF policy (since 1 Oct 2014): peer-reviewed research articles and non-commissioned review articles funded wholly or in part by a COAF charity must be freely available in PubMed Central (or Europe PMC) within 6 months of publication.
- NB The Wellcome Trust also requires scholarly monographs and book chapters to be made open access. See their ‘Complying with our Open Access policy’ page.
- If an Article Processing Charge (APC) is paid, the journal must make the final published version immediately available in PMC, and publish it with a CC-BY licence.
- The fund does not cover commissioned reviews or conference proceedings, or other costs such as page and colour charges.
- Oxford is one of 36 UK research institutions receiving a COAF Block Grant, to be administered by the Wellcome Trust in the same manner as has operated to date.
- For further information see the Wellcome Trust’s COAF page and the open access policies of the partner charities:
*formerly Leukaemia & Lymphoma Research (renamed September 2015). **Parkinson’s UK joined COAF on 1 October 2015.
Breast Cancer Now (October 2016)
Breast Cancer Now is no longer a COAF member. Its revised OA policy requires open access within 12 months of publication (in Europe PMC) preferably by the ‘green route’ (self-archiving).
- Before submitting article, check SHERPA/FACT to ensure the journal meets COAF requirements (OA in EuropePMC within 6 months of publication).
- When article is accepted for publication, if a fee is required to meet requirements, follow the process below. The central APC Team will request the invoice and arrange payment from Oxford’s COAF Block Grant.
- Please contact the APC team before confirming selection of gold (paid) route with journal, to check funds are available, and the journal is funder-compliant: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Application form and procedure:
- Researchers should apply for payment to be made on their behalf using the form below. Departments should not pay the invoice on behalf of the grant holders and claim reimbursement.
- Please complete an application form.
- Send it to the Bodleian’s APC Team at email@example.com with the publisher’s APC or article-charges request form.
- NB. The date of publication or payment must fall within the current COAF block grant year, 1 October 2016 to 30 September 2017.
- The COAF preference is Gold open access. Where a journal does not offer Gold open access, deposit a copy of the final, peer reviewed manuscript into Europe PMC within 6 months of publication. See the Europe PMC plus user guide for more information.
- Oxford University also encourages you to Act on Acceptance & deposit a copy in ORA.
- If you have any questions about paying APCs from the COAF fund, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.