Cancer Research UK (CRUK) was one of the charity open Access fund (COAF) charities but now operates it’s own funds and structure for open access.
There is an APC fund administered at Oxford for this funder. The block grant year runs from 1st October – 30th September
Fund status: Open for applications
This policy applies to:
- All primary research publications published after 1st October 2014 which acknowledge a Cancer Research UK grant, either published during the award or after the funding period has ended.
- All papers on which at least one author is in receipt of a Cancer Research UK grant, provided the paper in question is directly related to cancer research.
This policy does not apply to:
- Review papers (except for meta analyses, such as Cochrane reviews), editorials, commentary.
- Book chapters.
- Researchers can choose either self-archiving/green open access, or to opt for gold open access (Gold is CRUK’s preferred route).
- If self-archiving/green open access is selected, the accepted manuscript must be made available via Europe PMC.
- For articles accepted for final publication on or after 1 January 2022 CRUK require that any paper is made openly available in Europe PMC immediately on
publication (prev. timescale was within 6 months)
- If a ‘Gold OA’ APC charge is paid a Creative commons attribution licence (CC BY 4.0) must be applied to the published version.
- Acknowledge your funder in your submission
- CRUK authors are strongly encouraged to publish a preprint of their work under a CC BY licence.
- Provide the CRUK Press Team with a copy of all publications and conference abstracts arising from the Grant Activities at the time of submission for publication via the online manuscript submission form on CRUK’s website or email@example.com. Any manuscripts and details will be held in the strictest confidence.
- Further details and full policy.
- CRUK policy FAQ
What to do at Oxford
- If an APC payment is required – Please contact the Bodleian APC team before confirming selection of the paid route with journal, to check funds are available and the journal is funder-compliant.
- If the journal does not deposit into EPMC on your behalf deposit into EPMC within the required timescale (see above)
- Act on Acceptance & deposit a copy in ORA.