- The British Academy does not have an OA policy, and grants cannot be used to pay publication charges.
- The British Academy position is covered in the FAQ of individual funding schemes:
- ‘When I apply for funding through any of the awards offered by the British Academy, can I include in the application the cost of APCs (Article Processing Charges) to enable any articles that may arise from the research to be published in learned journals that offer a ‘Gold’ open access option?
- No. Currently the Academy’s position is that costs of publication are not eligible costs.
- Does the Academy require the outputs of the research it funds to be made available in any open access format?
- No, this is not currently a stipulation of any Academy award.’
- Recommendation to stay updated via BA’s OA page at https://www.thebritishacademy.ac.uk/projects/open-access/.
Page updated June 2020.
- Please Act on Acceptance and deposit a copy of your accepted manuscript in ORA at the time of article acceptance.
- The SHERPA/RoMEO website provides details of publishers’ embargoes and deposit requirements.