Scope of fund and Eligibility
Funds are awarded to AHRC, BBSRC, EPSRC, ESRC, MRC, NERC, STFC-supported researchers (grant holders, researchers employed on RCUK grants and RCUK-supported students at Oxford) on the basis of the University’s Policy on the Allocation of the RCUK Open Access Block Grant (pdf document) which was approved by the Research Committee in March 2013. The National Centre for the Replacement, Refinement & Reduction of Animals in Research (NC3Rs) comes under MRC policy and its grant holders are also eligible to apply. (NC3Rs Grant holder information.)
You can apply to the RCUK Open Access Block Grant to Oxford to pay an Article Processing Charge (APC) for papers submitted for publication since 1st April 2013,
- If you do not have such funding on the relevant RCUK program, project, fellowship or student grant from RCUK awarded prior to 1 April 2013, OR
- If you hold an RCUK award which commenced on or after 1 April 2013
- You meet the criteria set out in the University’s Policy on the Allocation of the RCUK Open Access Block Grant.
How to apply
1. Ask first if funds are available (ideally before submitting article to journal): please contact the APC team before committing to gold (paid) route, to check funds are available and journal is funder-compliant: email@example.com.
2. When article accepted: if funds have been confirmed please complete our application form (one form per article) and return it with the publisher’s APC or article-charges request form. If there is no form, a link to the publisher’s payment request page will suffice. Do not pay it yourself; we request the invoice from the publisher on your behalf.
Please email the form to firstname.lastname@example.org, or send in hard copy to Open Access APC forms, Acquisitions Services, Collections and Resource Description (C&RD), Bodleian Libraries, University of Oxford Osney One Building, Osney Mead, Oxford, OX2 0EW.
Where an APC is paid to make an article openly available immediately, the article must be published under a CC-BY (Creative Commons Attribution) licence.
Article-related charges, such as the costs of illustrations, colour figures or excess pages
We can only pay for colour charges etc when the article is also applying for an Article Processing Charge (ie gold route). You can only tick box IV on the form in combination with one of the first 3 boxes, not as a standalone item.
A reminder: If you hold an RCUK grant that commenced prior to 1 April 2013 and applied for APCs or other article-related charges in your grant proposal, please use these existing funds to pay those costs. Find out more here.
- Application form for Funding from Oxford’s RCUK Open Access Block Grant (Word doc).