Oxford’s allocation policy for the RCUK Block Grant continues for the new grant year 1 April 2021 – 31 March 2022 and prioritises APCs for fully OA journals. Please apply at article acceptance.
University policy for allocation of the RCUK Open Access Block Grant
The University’s current policy for allocating funds from the RCUK Open Access block grant for Article Processing Charges (APCs) and article-related charges* was last revised on Monday 2nd December 2019. It aims to make best use of the limited funds available and prioritises APCs for fully open access journals (ie. journals listed in the Directory of Open Access Journals DOAJ).
Oxford’s policy is to pay open access publication costs (Article Processing Charges, APCs) for RCUK-funded articles in:
- Fully open access journals (i.e. listed in the Directory of Open Access Journals DOAJ).
- Hybrid journals (subscription journals with paid OA option) covered by a Read and Publish publisher agreement. A list of Oxford’s agreements and eligible journals can be found on our Read and Publish Deals / Publisher OA payment schemes page.
- Transformative journals (hybrid journals that meet certain criteria which sit outside of the Read and Publish agreements negotiated with publishers). A list of eligible journals is maintained by cOAlition S, and is available via this webpage.
Authors remain free to publish in other journals of their choice, but the block grant will not be used to pay APCs for them. Authors should use the ‘green route’ to OA via deposit of the Author Accepted Manuscript in ORA for Act on Acceptance.
How to apply: procedure and form for RCUK-funded researchers.
The block grant covers peer‐reviewed papers (except invited reviews) which acknowledge Research Council funding.
1. Please contact the APC team at article acceptance, before committing to payment for advice on eligibility of the journal and which route to take, and if RCUK OA Block Grant funds are available (email firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning journal title and funder).
2. If advised to apply for block grant, send the APC team a completed APC form.
Complete one form per article and return it with the publisher’s APC or article-charges request form. If there is no form, a link to the publisher’s payment request page will suffice. Do not pay it yourself; we request the invoice from the publisher on your behalf.
Please email the form to email@example.com, or send in hard copy to Open Access APC forms, Acquisitions Services, Collections and Resource Description (C&RD), Bodleian Libraries, University of Oxford Osney One Building, Osney Mead, Oxford, OX2 0EW.
If an APC is paid, the article must be published with a CC-BY licence (Creative Commons Attribution).
Oxford University researchers funded by AHRC, BBSRC, EPSRC, ESRC, MRC (inc. NC3Rs), NERC and STFC are eligible (grant holders, researchers employed on RCUK grants and RCUK-supported students at Oxford) if you hold an RCUK award made since 1 April 2013; or if you do not have APC costs already included in an RCUK award made pre-April 2013.
If you hold an RCUK grant that commenced prior to 1 April 2013 and included APCs or other article-related charges in your grant proposal, please use these existing funds to pay those costs. Find out more here.
*Article-related charges, such as page charges, publishing fees and colour charges
Our policy is to pay the following article-related charges for RCUK-compliant journals if non-payment would prevent publication: page charges and publishing fees; and colour charges if an APC is also to be paid (you can only tick box 6.b.iii on the form in combination with 6.a, not as a standalone item).
- University’s RCUK Open Access Block Grant allocation policy (updated March 2020).
- APC application form for Funding from Oxford’s RCUK Open Access Block Grant (updated October 2020).